Annex Planned To "Free Jumbo"Now that real estate arrangements with the city have been completed, planning efforts are underway to "Free Jumbo" from the City Garage. This important step in our expansion will provide Jumbo with more convenient surroundings. While we appreciate the generous accommodations provided by Belleville's Bill Lugge and City Maintenance, we realize it is time to provide something closer to the museum.
Jumbo's manufacturer, Harrison Machine Works, was founded in 1848, and operated in Belleville for over a century, turning out threshers and steam engines. Jumbo was owned by an Indiana farmer until 1930. It was then acquired by the Ford Museum, where it was displayed until Jumbo's Keepers brought the machine back to Belleville in 2001.
Watch for the kickoff of our "Free Jumbo" campaign to start this most important next step in preserving and promoting the history of labor and industry in Belleville.
What's Happening | Collection Samples | Learning Center | Other Resources | Annex | Museum Store | Map | Volunteer | Membership | Web Weavers | Credits | Site map
Historical information for this web site has been pulled from public records and archives available at the Belleville Public Library Reference Department.
Site Designed by George Bassler